Polo U.S. Paratroops, Camp Toccoa, GA
Vintage black Polo Shirt. Embroidered, high quality heavy fabric, 70% cotton, 30% polyester, 350gr, with neck sweatband. Top quality garment!
Camp Toccoa (formerly Camp Toombs) was a United States Army paratrooper training camp during World War II five miles (eight kilometers) west of Toccoa, Georgia. It was first planned in 1938, constructed by the Georgia National Guard and the Works Projects Administration beginning 17 January 1940, and was dedicated 14 December 1940. The U.S. Army took over the site in 1942. The U.S. Army took over a site with few buildings or permanent structures: personnel were originally housed in tents. More permanent barracks were built as the first soldiers started to arrive. Initially, Camp Toccoa used the Toccoa municipal airport for jump training, but following a transport accident, it was abandoned for having too short a runway for safe C-39 and C-47 operations. All further jump training occurred at Fort Benning, Georgia.